While gardening needs no justification, plant caretakers share various reasons for their joy of dirt and seeds. Above all, gardening promotes healthier environments for communities, but how? Consider the following benefits of growing your own food/planting flowers:
- Planting flowers attracts pollinators to your garden which assists vegetables we grow for their developing fruit, i.e. melons, corn.
- Growing your own produce ensures safe, healthy food (pesticide free)
- Spiritual Connection (A garden might serve as a tranquil retreat or private escape from the demands of everyday life.)
- Growing your own produce reduces food costs and promotes healthy eating
- Encourages community involvement through planting new gardens-Reduces stress-Adds beauty to any landscape (attracts songbirds, butterflies, and other wildlife)
- Reduces Crime! “Recent university studies have shown the greener the surroundings, the fewer crimes occur against people and property.”
Feed Your Garden by Composting & Vermicomposting
Composting is an economical, non-toxic way to nourish soil.
KGMB and Gardening
KGMB encourages gardening to strengthen local communities. By growing life and learning together, we grasp the fragility of the environment and the need to depend on each other to maintain healthy, sustainable ecosystems. KGMB offers a composting workshop, educating others how to turn kitchen scraps and yard waste into nutrient-rich soil amendment, and a vericomposting workshop, which teaches participants how to build a simple worm bin using common household items.
KGMB sells rain barrels to assist you with your watering needs. Utilizing excess run off is an efficient, economical, and environmentally-friendly way to water your garden/lawn. KGMB also sells compost bins so that your household and yard waste can become beneficial material for your garden.